The inaugural Waterfowler Hall of Fame class of seven conservationists and duck hunting legends was inducted Thursday at the Statehouse Convention Center in Little Rock.
The new hall of fame, created by Arkansas Business Publishing Group and Greenhead magazine, recognizes champions of conservation, hunters, duck call makers, dog trainers and landowners who contributed significantly to the industry.
Thursday’s event honored four contemporary and two historical inductees. One legacy of service award was also presented to a seventh inductee by Ducks Unlimited.
The honorees were:
- Rick Dunn, the world champion duck caller who designed his own Echo calls and sells them from Echo Championship Calls in Beebe.
- Conservationist George Dunklin Jr., founder of the Five Oaks Hunting Lodge in Humphrey and a former president of Ducks Unlimited.
- Larry Grisham, who has raised money for the Arkansas Game & Fish Commission through art for decades.
- Marion McCollum, president and CEO of the landmark Mack’s Prairie Wings in Stuttgart.
- The late Dr. Rex Hancock, who could always be found on the front line of any battle to be fought in defense of the state’s sporting fields.
- The late business mogul and conservationist Edgar Monsanto Queeny, owner of the opulent hunting estate Wingmead and builder of three green-tree reservoirs on the Grand Prairie.
- The late Roland Rowe “Rollie” Remmel, who raised millions for and introduced thousands of people to the sport through Ducks Unlimited was honored by Ducks Unlimited with their Legacy of Service award.
The honorees were chosen from nominees submitted to ArkansasWaterfowlerHallOfFame.com. The judges were:
- Eddie Carter, owner of Carter Building Supply and Caney Creek Kennels.
- Bobby Martin, operating partner of The Stephens Group and an AGFC commissioner.
- Gar Lile of Lile Real Estate
- Jeff Lawrence of Ducks Unlimited
- Jay Coker, managing partner of Dry Lake Hunting Service
For more information or to submit someone for the 2017 Hall of Fame, please visit ArkansasWaterfowlerHallOfFame.com.